Paneer Bhurji Recipe (Punjabi Style)
Paneer, also known as Indian cottage cheese, is an important source of protein for vegetarians. This is why Indian cuisine has a variety of dishes made with this milk product. You can use paneer in many different ways in cooking, such as making koftas, using it cubed or diced in curries, or crumbling it to make a delicious Paneer Bhurji.
Paneer Bhurji is essentially spiced scrambled paneer. This recipe is a Punjabi style of making this popular and delicious North Indian dish, just the way it is made in my home.
Bhurji means scrambled in Hindi. So Paneer Bhurji is scrambled paneer or cottage cheese cooked with some other ingredients.
In this quick and simple vegetarian recipe, crumbled homemade paneer is cooked with onions, tomatoes, gingergarlic paste, green chilies, and spices to make a savory, tangy, and satisfying dish.
250 grams paneer (cottage cheese), crumbled
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 teaspoon gingergarlic paste
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons oil
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
2. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
3. Add gingergarlic paste and chopped green chillies. Sauté for a minute until fragrant.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
5. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 23 minutes.
6. Add the crumbled paneer and mix gently. Cook for another 56 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add garam masala and mix well. Cook for another minute.
8. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
9. Serve hot with roti, paratha, or rice.
Note: You can also add finely chopped capsicum, green peas, or any other vegetables of your choice to enhance the flavor and nutrition of the dish.